Kolkata is situated on the banks of river Ganges. In fact this is the last city where Ganges River flows; from here it goes into the Bay of Bengal and ends.
Kolkata is in western part of India and is the capital of the state of West Bengal. Kolkata is one of the largest cities in India and is a metropolitan city from many decades. Kolkata also used to be the British capital of India and is therefore full with monuments and buildings made by the British. Kolkata is a city of many reputed and Nobel Prize winners poets, writers, film directors and actors. It is the city of Hooghly and is full of life.
Distance from other Important Cities:
Pune: 2004 km
Hyderabad: 1516 km
Asansol: 222 km
Patna: 556 km
Bhagalpur: 575 km
Cuttack: 416 km
Dhanbad: 281 km
Jamshedpur: 295 km
Siliguri: 606 km
Ranchi: 409 km
Best time to visit Kolkata: The best time to visit Kolkata is between Octobers to March as this is the time when the climate is neither to hot nor too cold and the scary Bengal Monsoons have also passed. This time is best for exploring and enjoying yourself to the fullest in the city of Kolkata.
How to Reach Kolkata: Kolkata has Netaji Subash Chandra Airport also known as the DumDum Airport because it is located in DumDum locality in Kolkata, caters to both international and domestic flights.
By train also Kolkata is well connected to all the major cities of India and also serves as a gateway for North Eastern Railways. Kolkata also provides a train service between Kolkata and Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh. It also has excellent bus services for journey to and from Bangladesh. Moreover for exploring the city, Kolkata offers you with many public transport facilities like bus, metros, auto rickshaws, hand rickshaw, buses as well as ferries.
Kolkata Hotels: Some major hotels of Kolkata include Hotel Hindustan International, Chrome Hotel Kolkata, Oberoi Hotel Kolkata, Park Hotel Kolkata, Hotel Swagatam Inn, Hotel Pearless Inn, Fortune Park Panchwati Hotel and many more as per your choice.
Important Places to visit in Kolkata:
- Chowrangi Lane: It is a lane or road which is surrounded by all British monuments and architecture, the race course and the maidan which is a lush green lawn where you can have some relaxing time.
- Victoria Memorial: It is basically a memorial or a museum of British artifacts, clothes and weapons left there when they left India. All these things are on display.
- Town Hall: has Doric style architecture and now is the city’s District Magistrate’s office.
- Missionaries of Charity: the charity organization formed by Mother Teresa.
- Howrah Bridge: The famous Bridge built by British to connect Kolkata over the Hooghly River. It has an outstanding architecture and is a must watch.
- Writer’s Building: It has a great Gothic architecture and is currently the power house of the city.
- Tagore House: It is the birth place of Nobel Prize winner poet Thakur Rabindranath Tagore.
- Science city: An extremely exciting and fun loving place to visit. A must visit place for all science enthusiasts. It also has Jurassic City within it and provides a rope way ride of the whole place which is spread across many acres of land.
- Eden Garden: The famous and one of the most reputed cricket stadiums in India. It is a hub of cricket lovers especially at the IPLs.
- Rabindro Sarovar: It is park and a picnic spot situated near a lake and surrounded by scenic beauty.
- Kalighat: It is a temple of Goddess Kali located on a ghat of Ganga.
- Dakhshineshwar temple: Another temple of Goddess Kali built but none another Swami Ramakrishna Paramhans.
- Ramkrishna Mission: It is the institute made by Swami Vivekananda in the memory of Ramkrishna. It has schools, hospitals, temples, orphanages and old age homes within it.
- Zoo: The zoological garden of the city and has many species of animals.
- Museum: one of the oldest and biggest museum in Asia and has artifacts which have great historical value.